District Improvement Specialist
Location: Cedar Rapids, Iowa
The Cedar Rapids Metro Economic Alliance is a non-profit organization created to serve as the catalyst for economic diversity, growth and prosperity in our region. It is focused on economic and community development of the region and the business support needs of our customers. The Economic Alliance is seeking qualified candidates for its District Improvement Specialist position. Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter by 5 p.m. on Friday, March 30, 2012.
The Cedar Rapids Metro Economic Alliance has one vision: to become one of the top economic growth regions in the country. The selected candidate will have responsibilities in achieving this vision by executing district-specific community development initiatives within the framework of the organizationâ€™s mission and strategic plan. The District Improvement Specialist will work on projects within strategic/master plans, service contracts and other board-initiated directives, including oversight for the downtown parking management contract and will be the organizationâ€™s point of contact regarding district initiatives.
- Oversees the parking management contract, serving as primary contact for the City of Cedar Rapids and the parking contract operator on issues related to downtown parking.
- Supports Downtown Parking Management board, and provides strategic input on parking system policies.
- Serves as organizationâ€™s liaison to the Downtown SSMID Board, including support for board meetings and board/investor communications.
- Serves as the organizationâ€™s liaison to additional districts/organizations as new service contracts are negotiated.
- Meets regularly with regional and local government officials, community leaders, commercial property owners and other stakeholders to identify community and economic development needs for multiple core central business districts.
- Monitors and influences public policy development that will impact district initatives.
- Develops and implements programs to achieve district-identified goals, and tracks progress toward those goals.
Education Experience Required:
- A bachelorâ€™s degree in planning, public administration, economics, social science or other related field.
- 2-5 years experience in public planning and/or community development.
Candidates will be required to demonstrate the following skills and competencies:
- Gathers and shares stakeholder satisfaction input on behalf of the team
- Mobilizes resources to meet stakeholder needs by drawing on other teams
- Continually works to sharpen and develop their technical/functional expertise
- Uses technical breadth to advise stakeholders
- Balances the need for adequate planning with the need for action
- Helps others gain access to the right systems and processes in order to achieve their objectives
- Maintains perspective between the overall picture and tactical details
- Helps others view their work through the filter of community betterment
- Excellent writing/editing and verbal communication skills
- Working knowledge of how a board of directors works.
For consideration, please email your District Improvement Specialist resume to.