Discipline training should rarely be needed if managers and leaders are appropriately trained and utilize those skills.Â However, even from time to time, the best managers end up needing to discipline an employee.Â Disciplining team members and eliminating performance problems is a critical skill that must be developed to be effective.
Skywalk Group’s discipline training teaches managers and team leaders to:
- Use the techniques of effective discipline to eliminate problem behavior.
- Communicate concerns in terms of behavior rather than perception or opinion.
- Minimize defensiveness and focus on solutions.
- Reduce conflict avoidance behaviors that undermine team morale, impact perceived fairness, and impede overall productivity.
- Review performance to make sure the problem is resolved.
- Recognize the importance of team member participation in defining the problems and solutions.
If you are considering discipline training for your team, we strongly encourage Essential Skills of Leadership, Essential Skills of Communication, Goal Setting, and Providing Performance Feedback.Â These four courses can assist a manager in being proactive to team issues rather than reactive.
Skywalk Group also recommends having a formal discipline policy that is a part of your employee handbook.Â This provides managers with a consistent protocol to follow when handling discipline issues.
For a complete listing of training programs and delivery methods, please check out our Skywalk Group Training Matrix.
Offered in classroom, E-Learning, and Blended Formats
Classroom Time: 4 hours